P. G Department Of Social Work at Sree Saraswathi Thyagaraja college was established in the year 2005 with the following fields of specialization in Professional Social Work Education;
- Personnel Management ,Industrial relation and Labour welfare (PMIR)
- Medical and Psychiatry and
- Community Development.(CD)
The above courses were offered as an affiliated masters degree programme of Bharathiar University till Sree Saraswathy Thyagaraja college Obtained its autonomous status in the year 2008.
Since becoming autonomous, the department has introduced innovative features in curriculums design and Concurrent Field Work Practicum .The syllabi of courses designed under the Autonomus pattern was framed by an independent body of field experts who constituted the Board of Studies . All the three streams of specialization had five elective papers each . Major noticeable innovations were introduction of the courses titled ;
- Statutory Enforcement and Case Laws (for PMIR Specialization )
- Social entrepreneurship and NGO Management (for CD Specialization)
- Rural Economy and Cooperation
- Rural Management(Common for all final year students )
To enhance the employability skills for social work students the following courses have been tailor made;
- Quantitative apititude and verbal reasoning
- Foundation of Counseling and Practice
- Communication For Executives
- Foundation of counseling therapies and Techniques
CONCURRENT FIELD WORK PRACTICUM
During the entire period of study all the social work students are required to under go field work training in various agencies that vary according to curriculum and specialization. As part fulfillment of the course requirement the students are required to maintain a structured record of their field work visits in three formats;
- Observation note to record visit wise observations made by the Students
- Detailed descriptive record to be written in manusing form. Every student prepare this report and submit the same to the assigned faculty member after attending individual conferences.
- Consolidated report of the entire semesters record of field work visits incorporating the applications of various methods of social work in the field setting where the student under went training is submitted for valuation.
After completing the field work at the end of each semester every student has to appear for a Viva -Voce conducted by an external field expert.
All the first year students are exposed to generic social work field settings and are placed in leading NGOs, BDO and other governmental departments. All the second year students are placed in field work agencies according to their field of specialization. PMIR specializing students are placed in industries. Medical and Psychiatry students are placed in hospitals, mental health rehabilitation centers and de-addiction centers. Community development students are placed in leading NGOs, Block Development Offices and leading community development projects.
SUMMER INTERNSHIP PROGRAMME
* The field work placement training is a concurrent activity, where a student is expected to relate Social Work theory
* To practice in various settings such as NGO, Self help groups, social welfare agencies – Governmental and non governmental organization etc.
STUDY OF ADMINISTRATIVE SETUP
* A brief discussion about the agency , its history and development
* Organizational structure
* Roles and functions of various field functionaries
STUDY OF FIELD ACTIVITIES
* Nature of programme
* Area and locale of the operations
* Fund rising pattern
* Monitoring, Assessment and follow-up measures
* Agency limitations and constraints
Student should submit a day-to-day activity report of internship at the end of internship to his/her respective faculty guide
Attendance report indicates time “in” and “out”of every day attendance should be signed by the agency supervisor and submitted along with the monthly report
RULES AND REGULATIONS
* Students are advised to strictly adhere to agency timings general rules and regulation.
* Students are expected to attend regularly during the working days of the agency and maintain punctuality
Quality of Study In terms of written report 25 Marks
Quality of Study In terms of presentation 25 Marks
Total 50 Marks
Objective of the camp;
- To expose students to life in a village for a 7 days period
- To provide an opportunity to learn and practise skills for conducting culture recreational activities.
- To develop activities for conducting socio-economic survey in a village.
- To enable student to develop evaluation skills.
- Ability to plan ,organize and implements medical camp, enlist local participation and organize awareness camp
As part fulfillment of the course requirements all the first year students have to attend one weak rural camp.
OUT REACH PROGRAMME
Out reach programme are extension activities carried out by the department involving all the MSW students. It is an activity exclusively planned and implemented either by an individual student or by a small group of students in community setting. These programme ranged from awareness imparting on health, women empowerment, rallies on several social issues to that of organizing health camp, dental and eye check -up
SPECIAL FEATURES OF THE SYLLABI
* Out of 22 Courses , 5 Courses in each Specialization are entirely related to fieldwork and experimental learning
* There is an empirical research project in the final semester for every student to promote the spirit of scientific research
* Students are provided Opportunity to share the field experience with the Peers through the individual conference
* Individual Extension activity is a component of fieldwork curriculum and it is given due weight age in the evaluation